2.05.2009


Here we go.

I'm Cynthia. I'm a sophomore here at UMBC studying pre-nursing. I'm a proud member of the PHA sorority Delta Phi Epsilon, but despite this I'm a bigger nerd than you. The amount of time I've clocked into games such as World of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Counterstrike (1.6 for sure), Guitar Hero and Katamari Damacy--just to name a few--is absurd. But my nerd-dom does not end at computer and console games...on top of it all, I absolutely love playing the trading card game Magic: The Gathering, and have dabbled in...yes - DnD. Anyways, some other things I enjoy doing include watching movies (some of my favorites: Roman Holiday, Grandma's Boy, Pride and Prejudice, Troy, Moulin Rouge and Fight Club), reading webcomics (XKCD, Questionable Content, and Nerf Now) and randomly browsing the internet.

Clearly, and unsurprisingly, my main sources of entertainment are all derived from various forms of media. Whether I'm going to a theater to watch the new 3D horror film with some friends, listening to the radio in my car, downloading music off of iTunes with what little money I have or watching random YouTube videos, the media is never far from me. I even have a phone with web browsing capabilities to easily look up lyrics to a song I've just heard or to determine exactly how Mitch Hedberg passed away (yes, it was drugs). My media habits fluctuate based on how bored I am. If I'm left alone at home with little do have to do, it won't be very long before I'm sitting in front of the television, or worse, at my computer. With a myriad of time consuming hubs such as Facebook and various image boards, comics and blogs that frequently update. Another favorite of mine is watching TV online. So many networks have caved, offering their primetime shows with limited commercials online. As if my Tivo wasn't enough to satisfying the clashing natures of my addiction to television and a busy schedule, the trashy realty shows and silly dramas that I crave to watch are available for me to watch whenever I find a lull in my week. Overall, I'm incredibly aware of the massive role that media consumption plays in my life, but I'm far from complaining. Entertainment at my fingertips seems like a good deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

..you wanted to say something?